Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Happy sewing times in Tokyo...

Yesterday, my new partner in costuming crime and I headed to Tokyo's fabric town.  It was the first time for me, but she had been there before.  This is like Disneyland for people who sew.  I was immediately attracted to the ¥100/m wall (that's $1 a yard for my American friends).  Fortunately, my pocketbook allowed me to walk out of there with only 4 new fabrics.


I have three dresses and one top planned with these in mind.  Total cost ¥1365 (or about $13.87).  Unbelievable!  I'll be back.

Today, I got started on Halloween costume #2.  You can see #1 here.

I'm not telling you what it is just yet but I made the tunic for it today.

Getting started:


Fitting:


Almost finished:


I just need to hand sew the facing down and hem it.  Wait until you see the whole costume.  It's pretty marvelous.

I used Butterick 4237:



Sometimes I've had bad luck with Butterick being too big but this fit just perfectly!

Next, I started a dress:


This is me testing it out.  I need to hem the neck and sleeves as well as hem the dress but I ran out of daylight and the pain (from being old) was telling me to give it up for the night.

I used McCall's 6556:


October makes me want to sew.  Also, having a sewing buddy in Tokyo makes me want to sew.

I might do one more costume just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment